Sunset Crater Volcano

Flagstaff, AZ is at the epicenter of National Park goodness because, you know, the Grand Canyon, but there are also beautiful ruins at Wupatki, and down the road there’s a 900-year-old volcanic crater.

Which raises a question: What did the residents of Wupatki think when Sunset Crater Volcano erupted all those centuries ago? I’m guessing something like “WTF!” Except in their native language.

Regardless, the remains are beautiful in that stark way I happen to admire.

Sunset Crater Volcano

I’m not the first one to have the impulse to run out and slide down that hill, because there’s a sign prohibiting it. Dammit.

Sunset Crater Volcano

Despite the stark landscape there were still plenty of trees.

Sunset Crater Volcano

See?

Sunset Crater Volcano

And lichen! I’m also quite fond of lichen, because what’s not to like? (Groan.)

Sunset Crater Volcano

More mountains in the distance.

I’m heading to New Orleans this weekend, so I’ll share photos from that soon. Unless I accidentally coat the camera in powdered sugar from all the beignets I plan to eat.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , .

1. Delores Edwards March 17, 2015 at 4:57 pm #

Love your blog. Your photography is lovely – definitely award worthy!! Hope to see you sometime in April.

• deonne March 17, 2015 at 5:31 pm #

Delores – I’m so glad you like it, and thank you! Yes, looking forward to hanging out with you and Mom.

2. Deborah Dash March 17, 2015 at 5:23 pm #

I really like that last picture the best. Love the color saturation! <3

• deonne March 17, 2015 at 5:32 pm #

Deborah – Great, thank you!

3. Manisha March 17, 2015 at 5:54 pm #

Yah! I love your photos. Yah, New Orleans! Have you ridden the ferry to Algiers Point? It’s free and we were told that the bar right near the dock has the best french onion soup. It certainly was the best I’ve ever had. I can’t to see your NOLA photos, powdered sugar and all.
    Manisha recently posted…epic March weekendMy Profile

• deonne March 17, 2015 at 6:45 pm #

Manisha – Yahs all around! I haven’t ridden the ferry, but now that you say that I’ll put it on the list. It’s supposed to rain most of the weekend, which is a drag, but I’ll make the best of it. Delicious French onion soup would certainly help. πŸ™‚

• Manisha March 18, 2015 at 11:32 am #

Me, again. The restaurant with the amazing french onion soup is the Dry Dock. It is a very short, but nice (free) ferry ride across the Mississippi. Also, I’ve heard from friends that a walk around Algiers Point is a good opportunity to find small restaurants run out of people’s houses. I wish I had done that AND I wish I was heading to New Orleans. So, I’m full of envy again. First the snow, now New Orleans. Have fun!
        Manisha recently posted…epic March weekendMy Profile

• deonne March 19, 2015 at 7:09 am #

Manisha – The Dry Dock, I’m on it. Thanks for the tips!

4. ron hagg March 17, 2015 at 6:06 pm #

love the fotos!! -Be safe and have a great time in New Orleans.
    ron hagg recently posted…HAGGMEDIAMy Profile

• deonne March 17, 2015 at 6:46 pm #

Ron – Thank you! It’s tough to not have a great time in New Orleans. One of my very favorite cities.

5. Janet March 17, 2015 at 9:23 pm #

On the last picture, looks like the face of an animal on the left side with all the roots. First thing I saw. They are all beautiful and agree with Delores, award winning photos.

• deonne March 18, 2015 at 6:06 am #

Janet/Mom – Oh, yes! I see an elephant, how about you? Thanks for the encouragement, as always.

6. Sherry in MT March 18, 2015 at 6:51 am #

Travel safe and yes I bet they did say WTF when that volcano erupted! LOL I have that sliding feeling too every time I see a “devils slide” in the mountains – but alas they don’t like that either! Crap!
    Sherry in MT recently posted…The Breakfast BuffetMy Profile

• deonne March 18, 2015 at 8:48 am #

Sherry – We are kindred spirits. When I saw that hill I was wishing I still had my Boogie Board from my teen years in San Diego. πŸ™‚

7. Terri March 21, 2015 at 2:43 pm #

Gorgeous photos as always! I can’t figure out which one I like the best – maybe the last one because of the old dead tree up close? Thank you for sharing them!
    Terri recently posted…Little Things for Which I am ThankfulMy Profile

• deonne March 22, 2015 at 7:07 am #

Terri – Thank you, and my pleasure! I had a hard time with these photos, the landscape was a challenge for me in the processing phase, but I’m happy with them. I love that dead tree, as well. πŸ™‚