The Deepest Lake in the U.S., or How I Was Converted

I don’t usually get too excited about lakes.

I’m more of a rivers and oceans girl because lakes are too static, too passive for my taste, pretty but not worth shouting about.

But then I went to Crater Lake National Park in Oregon. The lake sits in the crater of a dormant volcano, is ringed by steep cliffs, and features two adorable islands with equally charming names (Wizard Island and Phantom Ship).

Let’s just get to the photos, shall we?

The Deepest Lake in the U.S., or How I Was Converted

The lake is really that blue.

The Deepest Lake in the U.S., or How I Was Converted

Wizard Island

The Deepest Lake in the U.S., or How I Was Converted

Phantom Ship

The Deepest Lake in the U.S., or How I Was Converted

I shot this east of the lake in the morning. The fog looks like a lake, doesn’t it?

The Deepest Lake in the U.S., or How I Was Converted

At the end of the day, I couldn’t get enough of the sun on the water.

The Deepest Lake in the U.S., or How I Was Converted

Again.

The Deepest Lake in the U.S., or How I Was Converted

And again.

So now it’s official: I really love lakes.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , .

1. Susan Embry October 21, 2015 at 3:53 pm #

Stunning look at a place that looks like a fantasy world to me! Who knew? Thanks for sharing it.

• deonne October 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm #

Susan – I went back after my first visit I was so smitten. You need to see it in person. πŸ™‚

2. Deborah Dash October 21, 2015 at 4:02 pm #

The next-to-last photo is my favorite, with the rays of the sun coming down through the clouds. Brilliant.

• deonne October 21, 2015 at 4:19 pm #

Deborah – Good to know, thank you!

3. Martha October 21, 2015 at 4:38 pm #

I’ve been there many times and still can’t believe how blue the lake is, in all seasons. I think I love it best in winter, when the snow is piled up high at the road’s edge. Your photos are so true to the look as well as the feel of Crater Lake!

• deonne October 21, 2015 at 7:25 pm #

Martha – I’d love to see it in winter! I’ll definitely go back. Your comment about the photos being true to the place made my day, thank you.

4. Ron Hagg October 21, 2015 at 4:39 pm #

I cannot believe how well you captured Crater Lake.

• deonne October 21, 2015 at 7:25 pm #

Ron – That’s high praise, thank you.

5. Beth October 21, 2015 at 6:23 pm #

Superb photos, Deonne! You make a gorgeous place look even more beautiful.

• deonne October 21, 2015 at 7:26 pm #

Beth – Thank you so much for the kind words.

6. Sherry in MT October 22, 2015 at 6:34 am #

A water convert! YAYYYY! That is truly a magical place isn’t it? I was just gobsmacked at the size and creation of it. πŸ™‚
    Sherry in MT recently posted…Busy Weeks are GoodMy Profile

• deonne October 22, 2015 at 7:29 am #

Sherry – Yay! It was amazing, my new favorite. I want to backpack all the way around it next time.

7. Emilie Vardaman October 22, 2015 at 7:19 am #

Qbeautiful place, beautifully captured
    Emilie Vardaman recently posted…Yachats to Gold BeachMy Profile

• deonne October 22, 2015 at 7:30 am #

Thank you, Emilie!

8. Manisha October 22, 2015 at 10:13 am #

Oh, I am so happy you are convert to loving lakes. We’ve got a lot of those here in Minnesota and hopefully that will entice you to come visit some day soon. Lovely photos, Deonne. [I keep saying that over and over, don’t I? It’s so true yet hard to find any better words to share my admiration.] What makes them so great? Is it your camera, your processing? I suspect that it’s just you and your eye for beauty!
    Manisha recently posted…Are you seeing this?My Profile

• deonne October 22, 2015 at 1:59 pm #

Manisha – I’d love to come to Minnesota and see all those gorgeous lakes, and see you, natch. πŸ™‚ We could go on a shooting expedition together, wouldn’t that be fun? I’d love to see our different takes on the same landscape. Until then – thank you, as always, for the kind words.

9. Susan Carpenter Sims October 22, 2015 at 1:09 pm #

I totally relate about not being much of a lake person, but lakes have been on my mind lately because I’ve been feeling the need for “still waters.”

Your photos are thrilling, as always. I seriously have to tag along on one of these trips eventually.
    Susan Carpenter Sims recently posted…Harvest timeMy Profile

• deonne October 22, 2015 at 2:00 pm #

Susan – Oh, I love that. Lakes are definitely good for still waters and all they imply. πŸ™‚ Thanks for saying that – it would be fun to road trip together! Sooner than later, I hope.

10. Shelley abell October 27, 2015 at 4:12 pm #

Oregon My Oregon……I do live and Love this beautiful state of Mine. I always say that if Oregon was a Ring that Crater Lake would be the Diamond. Your photos did it justice, most don’t . I see you also discovered the Painted Hills of the John Day area. Lucky you! Happy Tails!!

• deonne October 27, 2015 at 5:48 pm #

Shelley – Thank you! All you’ve said about Oregon is true, and I’m so glad you think I did justice to that gorgeous lake, my new favorite. I can’t wait to get back to your state some day.