A Moody Afternoon at Fort Union

I’m on this new kick of visiting the Parks in the late afternoon/early evening, so the light for photos is better. When I visited Fort Union National Monument (New Mexico) a few days ago, it was exactly the right time for someone to play “Taps” on the trumpet, which only added to the moodiness of the place.

Fort Union was a stronghold against Confederate forces trying to make their way west during the Civil War.

A Moody Afternoon at Fort Union

The battles are long over, but you can imagine what it must have been like.

A Moody Afternoon at Fort Union

The fort was decommissioned in 1891, shortly after the railroad came through.

A Moody Afternoon at Fort Union

The sweep of history.

Next up: Pecos National Monument.

P.S. Good friend and blog reader Lee made a great suggestion – to make sure and mention which state these parks are in. I assume you know exactly where I’m at, but why would you? So for the record, Capulin Volcano is in New Mexico, like Fort Union. Thanks, Lee!

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , .

1. Jim Bago August 22, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

You can’t tow Sadie there, but you could tow her to Key West and catch ride to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. You’ll find lots of photo ops, history, and atmosphere there or my name is Mudd.

• deonne August 22, 2014 at 4:52 pm #

Jim – Key West and the Dry Tortugas are on my short list, and yes, I’m afraid Sadie will just have to sit those out. Thanks for commenting!

• Catherine Fisher August 22, 2014 at 9:31 pm #

You’re right about the light… it’s very moody and captures a certain memory of the place. Nice.
      Catherine Fisher recently posted…when life gives you peaches…My Profile

• deonne August 23, 2014 at 7:06 am #

Catherine – I’ve been having good luck with clouds on this Scamp!

2. Martha August 22, 2014 at 6:19 pm #

I will have to do my photographing at the same time of day you took these – they are spectacular. Unfortunately when I’m on the road I often stop on the spur of the moment at a beautiful spot. I tried to pick a favorite out of your 3 photos but I just can’t – love ’em all!

• deonne August 22, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Martha – It’s definitely good light, but I know what you mean about the spur of the moment stop. I do those too, and sometimes you just have to. I’m so glad you like all the shots! And thanks, as always, for the comment.

3. Manisha August 23, 2014 at 10:16 am #

Gorgeous photos, Deonne. You captured the mood perfectly! I’m so glad this trip is working out for you.
    Manisha recently posted…cowgirlsMy Profile

• deonne August 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

Thanks, Manisha! It’s a solid Scampabout, with more good days to come. Life is good.