Highway One

I’ve driven a lot of roads in the U.S., and one of the very best is Highway One on the California coast.

Or, as it’s familiarly known, The One. Which implies a whole lot more than asphalt, doesn’t it? Like Buddha, or Neo from The Matrix. Regardless, it’s a spectacular road, and here’s just some of what you’ll see:

Highway One

That’s what I’m talking about. (In Big Sur.)

Highway One

Morning Flight

Highway One

This is what all the beaches look like. It’s ridiculous.

Highway One

Seals at rest.

Highway One

Sam, pretending to be a seal.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , .

1. Catherine September 14, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

We spent our 10th anniversary at Big Sur. And to this day, it was the most beautiful place I have ever been.
    Catherine recently posted…playing favorites…My Profile

• deonne September 14, 2015 at 4:33 pm #

Catherine – What a wonderful place to celebrate your anniversary! I tried camping there this time but everything was full, so I’m determined to get back there again. Such a beautiful, wild place.

2. Jim September 14, 2015 at 6:21 pm #

I spent my last two months in the U.S. army in a cottage at the Big Sur Campground (spring 1974.) It was marvelous, simply marvelous.

• deonne September 14, 2015 at 7:17 pm #

Jim – envy! I would love to do that. There’s no place like it.

3. Emilie Vardaman September 15, 2015 at 9:15 am #

Loved Sam being a seal.
    We’re right behind you, in Yachats, Oregon! Slow down so we can meet up.
    Emilie Vardaman recently posted…Days Four and Five: Port TownsendMy Profile

• deonne September 15, 2015 at 9:19 am #

Emilie – I love that shot of Sam, too! The pairing with the seals shot was perfect. Would love to meet up!

4. Manisha September 15, 2015 at 11:58 am #

Gorgeous. I’ve never been on hwy 1 so i loved seeing your photos! I think we talked about beaches before. These are the types of beaches that I love, the ones where you experience the water and the pound of the surf, not the ones where you lay around in hopes of a tan. Although I’ll never criticize a seal (or a dog) for doing that.
    Manisha recently posted…Space: the final outingMy Profile

• deonne September 15, 2015 at 9:05 pm #

Manisha – Yes, we’ve talked about this, how we both prefer these beaches versus the sunbathing kind. Yes, but seals and beach-loving pups get a pass, ha.

5. Deborah Dash October 5, 2015 at 4:21 pm #

I don’t know how I missed this from a couple of weeks ago, but I’m seeing it now. And as a NorCal girl, I have to give you a hard time about adding that article in front of the number. “The” One? That’s a dead giveaway that you spent considerable time growing up in SoCal. O.o I’ll give you a pass ONLY because I know that about you! haha

Beautiful pictures, as always. I love HIGHWAY ONE. <3 <3 <3

• deonne October 6, 2015 at 7:56 am #

Deborah – Totally! ๐Ÿ™‚ I own my SoCalness. And I’m glad you liked the pictures – such a gorgeous place to shoot.

6. Emilie Vardaman September 14, 2016 at 8:38 am #

Seals at rest on the beach? Wow!
    When I drove The One last year, I didn’t get south of San Francisco. Guess another trip is in order.
    In just over two weeks I leave fir twelve days in Maine! Taking a sailing cruise. A birthday present to myself. Turning 70 and no one else was gonna give me such a gift!
    Emilie Vardaman recently posted…Turtles, Part II: the BabiesMy Profile

• deonne September 14, 2016 at 9:08 am #

Emilie – The seals, I know! They were remarkable. You definitely need to go back and further south. I saw your Maine trip, what an excellent gift to yourself! I can’t wait to see your photos and commentary. Ringing in 70 in the best way possible, in my mind.